This was my training plan for the Hibiscus Half Marathon. I didn’t complete all my runs, and decided just to have fun with this course. I ended up running it strong, and missed a PR by 40 seconds.
I am happy with my result – I know if I put in more work I can get faster.
Official time: 1:56:31.
I only have five weeks to train for this half marathon. Thought, I have just come off my training for the Hapalua Half Marathon, so it really is just about keeping my fitness and trying to improve. I would really like to PR, so I am going to aim for around the 1:50:00 mark. I don’t think I am ready to break 1:50, but if I can get close and knock a few minutes off my time I will be happy.
I have devised training for the next five weeks, these workouts and times are taken from Hansons Marathon Method, which I plan on using for my next full marathon.
I am going to dabble with this training plan, and hopefully it will give me an idea on where I should be for my marathon training. If the paces are too hard, I can scale it back, if they are too easy I can push harder.
A few points:
- At least one mile warm up and cool down for each speed, strength and tempo workout.
- Tempo runs are at half marathon pace. Fourth week may go up to 7 miles if I am feeling good.
- I am giving myself the option to have an extra rest day on Friday if I feel the need.
- I will allow myself to run the last three miles of the long runs at a slightly faster pace if I am feeling good.
- I will be trying to hit these paces! Not to go too fast like I have done previously.
- Buuuttt, I have decided after week two, I will evaluate how my runs are going and to see if I need to adjust my paces – whether that is to run faster or slower.
My goals for the Hibiscus Half Marathon:
- Goal A: Break 1:50:00 (This probably won’t happen, as my training paces aren’t fast enough – but let’s aim high!)
- Goal B: Break 1:55:00
- Goal C: Get a new PR (Previous stands at 1:55:54)
- Goal D: Sub 2:00:00. My last two half marathons have been sub 2, let’s not go back above that number!
I really believe Goal B is achievable. But, it is always good to have those backup goals so I am not left feeling disappointed about my performance.
Let’s do this!